Sunday, May 2, 2010

Tamale Pie

This is still Tori. :) I got the original Tamale Pie recipe from Kati and I've just added 1 extra ingredient. This is probably my favorite recipe. I make this about once a week. :O) Kati thinks I'm silly, but seriously this is sooooooo freaking good! (****For the best result I like to use the Marie Calender corn bread mix for the cornmeal)

Tamale Pie:

-Preheat oven to 375*

Saute the following ingredients:
*1 1/2 lb ground beef
*large onion chopped
*1 clove garlic crushed (I use 2-3 cloves..and wait until beef is almost completely cooked before adding so it doesn't burn)
*1 large can of diced green chilies (this is the extra ingredient that I add)

Stir in the following ingredients and cook for 5 minutes:
*1 16 oz chopped tomatoes (I use the Italian chopped stewed tomatoes because I have a ton of them)
*1 can of corn or 1-2 c. frozen corn
*1 tsp salt
*6 tsp chili powder
*1/2 tsp pepper

Mix and stir into the above ingredients and cook for 10 minutes:
*1/2 c. cornmeal
*1 c. water
*1 c. sliced black olives (I use a whole can of olives that I slice)

-Pour into 9 x 13 baking dish.

-Cornmeal topping: ( normally I double this...because I love the topping. When I do that I reserve some of the beef mixture and put it in an 8 x 8 pan so that I can freeze a small pan)
-In a medium sized sauce pan scald *1 1/2 c. milk
*1/2 tsp salt
*2 Tbsp butter
*gradually add 1/2 c cornmeal. Stir in until it thickens.
*stir in 1 c. of shredded cheddar cheese.
*stir in 2 beaten eggs
-Pour on top of casserole and bake for 40-50 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment