Monday, July 19, 2010

Texas Caviar

I'm pretty sure I found this recipe on the triplet's blog, but I can't remember.
Wherever I found it, it's delicious and it made a ton! I had to give half of it away because I knew we wouldn't finish it all. It was super easy to make and I actually plan on making it again as part of tonight's dinner.
I didn't make it exactly as it was written because I didn't want to use all the different beans it suggested or the quantity.
I'll write the recipe as it was shown and then add in what I did differently.

Texas Caviar

  • 1 can shoepeg corn (I used about a cup or so of frozen that I defrosted in a bowl of water)
  • 1 can blackeye peas (Not a huge fan of these so I used black beans, much better!)
  • 1 can kidney beans
  • Rinse the beans well and put in a good sized bowl

  • 3 avocados-diced (I only had one and it worked! P.S: I would add this at the very last because it ended up squishing when I tossed it all together)
  • 3 tomatos diced ( I only used 2)
  • 1 green pepper diced (I used a half of a red one, would have used more but didn't have any)
  • 1 bunch cliantro
  • 1 red onion (I don't like hunks of uncooked onion, so I choppen this super fine and it was really good)
  • 1 lime - squeeze it over the mixture. I have a bottle of lime concentrate in the fridge and used some of that too because I felt it just needed a little more than one lime.
  • 1 tsp. vinegar. I used white distilled and it was good.
  • Pinch of salt. When all was done, I thought it needed a little salt to kick it up a bit. But not too much because you eat it with salty tortilla chips.

Let it chill for a couple hours before you eat it. So good!

No comments:

Post a Comment